I'VE MOVED!

It's been great here, but now you can find me at littlejoys.wordpress.com.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Chromalectable

I think we artists have a tendency to sort of "latch on" to a particular design element--line, shape, texture, color, et cetera--and spend our lives obsessing over it. It's the first thing we notice in nature, in other's artwork, in the cereal aisle at the grocery store. And it isn't that it's the only element we see, but it's the only one we care about, the only one that really matters.

My element is color. It is my passion, my raison d'ĂȘtre. I do not see how one could not think about color. Now don't get me wrong, I really dig line and shape and even texture a little bit. But I *ADORE* color from the most remote depths of my soul.

I can stand for tens of minutes on end in the paint swatches section of the hardware store. It makes me feel good, ogling all that color. And I can take my favorites, like collectors' cards for color enthusiasts--FOR FREE. I bring them home and put them in a book so that I can go back later when I'm feeling a little neutral and savor all that chromatic deliciousness.

No comments: